Welcome to Save Our Sight!
In each year since 2002, the New Zealand Association of Optometrists has headed a month-long eye health promotion campaign called Save Our Sight.
Aims of Save our Sight
- To improve the eye health of New Zealanders by letting people know a regular eye examination by an optometrist can save their sight.
- To improve understanding among New Zealanders that eye health is an essential part of maintaining personal health and wellbeing and they can take action by scheduling an eye examination every 2 years
- To educate people about the realities of living with impaired vision and the importance of vision for performance at school, at work, and at play.
To improve the eye health of New Zealanders by raising the profile of eye health and reducing the number of people who go blind from preventable causes.
Did you know?
- 75% of the world’s blindness is preventable, according to the World Health Organisation
- Most serious eye diseases like glaucoma or macular degeneration can occur at any age
- Absolutely everyone is at risk from sunlight related eye damage especially cataracts and AMD
What you should do:
- Protect your eyes from UV outdoors by using eyewear that blocks 100% of the harmful rays
- Schedule a complete eye exam every two years. Quick tests only check for prescription changes and will not detect major eye diseases.
For more information, head on over to our Save our Sight website
Thousands of New Zealanders have problems with their vision every year. Some of these problems can cause permanent vision loss and even blindness.
Save our Sight Month (September) has been an annual event since 2002 when the country’s optometrists took note of the fact that 20% of the people accessing services for the blind had lost their sight from preventable causes. For eye conditions that result in blindness, the only way to find them early is to have a comprehensive eye exam. For this reason NZAO optometrists, each year, take the opportunity to remind kiwis how precious their sight is and the importance of the 9- step comprehensive eye exam for maintaining good eye health. >>Read more
Information for the media
Blue light - How scared we should be
2018 Save Our Sight Media Release